Monday, July 16, 2007

Sarah Ella Black Wahrmund

A letter from Uncle Barry on Sunday, July 15, 2007
Dear Family and Friends,
My mother, Sarah Ella Black Wahrmund, passed on to Glory this evening in her 93rd year. We were returning from Lubbock where David had been performing, and, somewhere between Carlsbad and Dell City, the caregiver tried to notify me. Unfortunately, we were in an area where there is absolutely no cell phone service. Thirty minutes later, Glen called as we approached Dell City to give me the news. Last Monday, my cousin and his wife came from Las Cruces for a visit. After a Psalm was read, we sang a verse of "Trust and Obey." When we got to the chorus, I was most amazed and startled as she sang along, not missing a single word. That was a wonderful experience. However, on Friday before we left for Lubbock, I visited and sang three hymns, "His Eye Is on the Sparrow", "Trust and Obey" and "God Will Take Care of You". She was not very responsive. And on Saturday she didn't even want water. I knew that things were not going well. Therefore, I was not that surprised by the news. Actually, I am very relieved that she has been released from her body that just wouldn't function any more. I know that must have been frustrating for her even though she never complained about her situation. Every time we visited, we asked her "How do you feel today?" The answer was always "OK", expressed in a positive, resolute tone. And never did we hear any complaints of pain. The caregiver said she died very peacefully. I praise God for her gracefulness during these trying times. In an e-mail John made the comment that "Mom was always so steadfast and rock solid." What a wonderful way to describe her. It was always because of her love and encouragement that Jesus was foremost in my childhood and I thank God she guided me in that direction so that my faith was able to be nourished. In this case, Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go ...", was fulfilled. What a legacy! There will be a memorial service in Las Cruces, NM with the burial in Eagle Lake, TX. I will send out this information as soon as it becomes available.
Lovingly, Barry Hall Wahrmund

No comments: